Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do I get my bathroom door unlocked?

Here is the stupid question of the night. I've never had this problem before. I was cleaning my bathroom and I left to go into the kitchen, closing the door behind me. I didn't know I had the knob in the lock position. It's just a regular old knob, it has two screws on either side. If I get a philips head screwdriver and unscrew them will the knob just fall off on each side, letting me unlock them and put them back together?|||Normally the screws are on the same side as the lock mechanism. On the outside of the privacy lock is a small hole dead center. You can take a very small bladed flat screwdriver and stick it in the slot to turn the thumb lock to the unlocked position. If you have a privacy lock key handy it will do the trick. In new homes the carpenter usually lays it on top of the trim above the door.





If you have a kwikset privacy lock and the screws are on the outside you can remove the knob and use a screwdriver to push the bolt back and open the door.|||"Paper" certainly has explained it well. I cannot imagine a key/lock system for a bathroom passage knob. I also agree that the screws are never on the side we would like them to be, in a case like this. I'll assume I don't know everything about every manufacturing design however.





BTW it isn't a Dumb question. have you ever surfed some asked here? :)





There is another option,,, and I'll further assume you weren't locked in your bathroom when you typed this.





You could possibly use a wide blade putty/paint knife, disrupt the door jamb, and push in against the latch throw piece.





On another note, and with no offense, I've never quite understood LOCKING doors INside a home.|||Probably. But you can easily put it back together once the door is opened. You might as well replace with one that you pick from outside, not expensive.|||There should be a small hole in the center of the out side knob just stick a small nail in the hole and push,this releases the lock. I believe this is the most common.|||The bathroom lock should have an external method to unlock it. I know of three.


One is a coin slot, you put a penny in it and turn counter-cloockwise.


Another is a small rectangular hole which can be turned counter clockwise with a small screwdriver.


The third is a small round hole through which you can push a small allen wrench, tiny screwdriver or stiff wire. Pushing firmly will "pop" the lock on the other side just the same as turning the inside know would.





Bert

No comments:

Post a Comment