Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How do I temporarily cover up my bathroom floor?

I'm getting ready to move into a new house, but the main bathroom floor is some weird-looking fake tile pattern. I'd like to cover it up with more than just a small bathroom rug, and I don't know the exact dimensions off the top of my head...





Since I'm only renting the place, setting actual tile is out of the question. I need to use something that can be taken off without any serious damage. So if you can think of anything that doesn't involve me losing my deposit...answer away!|||Carpet tiles are an option, however, carpeting in a bathroom is really not a good idea -- mold, mildew, smells -- all that kind of stuff.





You can get some mighty fine looking linoleum remnants that can be cut and shaped for your bathroom. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit...just try and keep some kind of form (i.e., the same width border all around). You don't need to glue the linoleum down, just run a heater or hair dryer for a while until it becomes flexible and straightens out. If you feel more comfortable "attaching" it to the floor, use a few strips of double-sided sticky tape.





Another option is sticky floor tiles adhered to a piece of canvas fabric.





And, still another option is simply canvas fabric (you won't run into the same problems as carpeting) that can be decorated with paint -- a motif, stencils, etc. Seal the canvas with several coats of flooring-grade water-based polyurethane if desired (will help it wear better).





You can also paint the back of a linoleum remnant with a color and design of your choice and seal with the same water-based finish. I have several of these linoleum "area rungs" in my kitchen on which I did a faux marbling, and they look really, really nice.





HGTV.com also provides a wealth of information, and they have a forum where you can ask this question and get even more responses and good ideas.|||There is a new type of vinyl that has a fiberglass core than can be cut tight to the walls and loose laid on the floor. A couple types sold here in California are Armstrong Cushion Step and Naturcore - I think there's another manufacturer called Tarkett.


Check with your local flooring store for details on product and how to use in your situation.





(I work in a flooring store)|||There are self-assembling hard-wood floors that you can install without having to glue them to the floor. They snap together. The only thing is, you would have to cut it to fit the dimensions of the room... It's pretty easy though and it doesn't require destruction of anything that is already there...|||Im not too sure without seeing your setup, but maybe you could use some cheap snap together laminate like they sell at ikea and just lay it onto of what you already have.|||in my last apartment i asked permission from the landlord to put some inexpensive but attractive self adhesive tile down. it only cost me $60 and the landlord actually took a chunk off that months rent because it improved the look of the bathroom. it never hurts to ask. i am not sure as to a temporary solution that would be easy to remove, if i find any info, i will post it here for you.|||Go to the flor website...I just recently put some down and I love it. you buy it by the carpet floor tiles and you can pick it up and put it down easily. They stick to each other, not the floor underneath so no damage.


www.flor.com|||Get carpet pieces and cover it up that way . they have them where they put together like a puzzle .|||self adhesive floor tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment