Wednesday, November 16, 2011

How do you avoid bathroom accidents when out with young kids?

My son finds it difficult to 'hold on' when we are out and about. He turned four in February. My other kids are twin 7 y/o girls and a 4 month old baby.


When my son needs to go, he needs to go NOW. I find it hard to get him there in time with 3 other young kids in tow. He always goes to the bathroom before we leave the house.





He was a late potty trainer and only really got the hang of it about 6 months ago.|||My almost 3 year old just started wearing underpants last week. What we have been doing is making him go before we leave the house, and as soon as we get where we are going, I find out where the bathrooms are. If we are just running in %26amp; out of a store, I ask him, but don't push the issue. If we are in the store for more than 1/2 an hour, I make him at least try to go while we are there. If he can't that is fine, but I make sure he has had the opportunity. He is doing extremely well while we are out. His only accidents have been at home.|||When I'm out shopping with my kids (2,3, and a newborn) I make sure to stop at the potty every two hours. If they don't have to go, fine, but at least they've had the opportunity.|||you could limit the drinks (if any) while youre out.


the first answer was good - do bathroom stops before he gets to the point where he has to go real bad.|||One thing I found that helped was to hit the bathroom as soon as we got to the store and if we were there for an extended trip go again even if he didn't ask.|||I have twin boys (3.5yr) They can use the bathroom when we leave, then they need to go when we get to a store, and once more before we leave. It is hard because I also have a 20 month old. Sometimes I keep an empty water bottle in the diaper bag. Then if you can't make it out of the car, or you only have enough time to make it to a dressing room, ect...you'll avoid an accident. My sister thinks its gross...but so are wet pants and underwear. I'd rather them go in my van, than touch anything in a public bathroom. And the boys think its fun to pee in the bottle.|||I had a similar problem with my son and I ended up let him wear a pull up out "just in case" becuase I think it was the anxiety of a possible accident that was actually hindering him. I only did that for a month maybe and now he is great. Apart from the occasional peeing on my back wheel in an emergency lol

No comments:

Post a Comment